What are Essential Oils?
In previous posts I have introduced the idea of using essential oils as a complementary method to assist us in coping with mind, body, and spirit care. Essential oils are not intended to replace any medications we require for our health. Rather, Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) is used as a way to enhance, not replace, our self-care regimen.
Stress is known to cause pain in the neck, shoulders, and back. Stress also causes insomnia and headaches. How do you manage these issues? Do you take a pain pill for your body? Do you take a pain pill for your headache(s)? How many times a day? How Anxiety Can Create Aches and Pains (calmclinic.com)
In some countries, essential oils are regulated and used as a methodology for helping patients enhance their relief with health issues: An example, is Canada where Essential Oils are regulated as Natural Health Products. These products require the approval of Health Canada (FDA in the USA) approval before going to market.
As some of you know, I am an Essential Oils Enthusiast. So, you can imagine my delight when I learned that I can use Essential Oils to ease my arthritis pain, which I have developed in my hands. Arthritis is not uncommon in senior citizens. As I read information from the Arthritis Foundation, I learned some of the key points cited below, and I think they may be useful to those of you who are also suffering from arthritic pain.
- While the risk of arthritis increases as you age – half of people 65 and older have arthritis – the truth is people of all ages get arthritis including children and young adults. Source: Home – Arthritis Foundation Blog
- Aromatherapy can have a powerful impact on your well-being, including your level of pain. “Certain scents activate smell receptors in the nose, which triggers a reaction in the nervous system,” says Julie Chen, MD, an integrative medicine physician in San Jose, Calif. This, in turn, stimulates the part of your brain that controls emotion, triggering the release of hormones such as feel-good dopamine. Source: Aromatherapy for Pain Relief – Living With Arthritis
Try some of the suggestions below for relieving your arthritis pain:
- Bergamot and Lavender for Pain : This blend reduced pain levels in people with chronic pain who inhaled it regularly over four months, a 2014 study in BioMed Research International found.
- Try it: Blend 2 to 12 drops of essential oil with a tablespoon of milk or vegetable oil (undiluted essential oil can irritate skin), and add it to a bath. Or mix 15 to 20 drops with 1 ounce of jojoba or almond oil to dab on your wrists or massage into skin.
- Ginger for Pain: A 2008 study in Complementary Therapies in Medicine showed that people with moderate to severe knee pain reported less pain and stiffness after they were massaged with a ginger-and-orange oil than an unscented one.
- Try it. Mix 10 to 15 drops of ginger essential oil with 1 ounce of jojoba or almond oil; massage directly on the skin.
You can learn more about essential oils at my Website: http://www.judithguerra.com/ Click the More button ⇓