Adjusting to the signs of aging is not intuitive. In recent years, I have learned to read, listen to other seniors, and constantly pay attention to the signs my body gives me.
An article in the New York Times Well section brought to my attention that early signs of arthritis could be creaking and popping sounds. Yes!
The condition for noises in the knees is called Crepitus by medical professionals. To date professionals are actually undecided whether these noises in the knees signal the beginning of Arthritis. So, what should we be aware of? Here are some guidelines: Continue reading “Arthritis Signs for Knees”
I admit that when some of my friends suggested I try Acupuncture to relieve the pain in my hands, I was hesitant. What really prompted me to explore acupuncture was the severe pain I was struggling with in my hands. In addition, I was taking Ibuprofen, and when the pain became unbearable, I took Naproxen. My doctor had cautioned me not to take either of these medications on a frequent basis due to other side effects. As I was considering what I would do I came across an article in Health Matters, which is a publication of the White Plains Hospital (WPH) in Westchester, NY. I was convinced that if WPH was willing to suggest acupuncture to its patients as part of their Cancer Wellness Center program, it was worth a try.
♦ Today, acupuncture is being practiced in all 50 states by over 9,000 practitioners, with over 4,000 MDs including it in their practices. Acupuncture has shown notable success in treating many conditions, and over 15 million Americans have used it as a therapy. Source: Acupuncture | definition of acupuncture by Medical dictionary
Continue reading “Acupuncture & Pain Relief”
In September 2016, I wrote a post about the benefits of walking. At that time the goal suggested by the American Heart Association was 10,000 steps a day (equal to 5 miles). Needless to say, for seniors this is not an easy task. Often we have issues with our knees. Arthritis, for example, is one of the many complaints. But the question is “have you started?” Continue reading “Stepping Up Your Walking”
As some of you know, I am an Essential Oils Enthusiast. So, you can imagine my delight when I learned that I can use Essential Oils to ease my arthritis pain, which I have developed in my hands. Arthritis is not uncommon in senior citizens. As I read information from the Arthritis Foundation, I learned some of the key points cited below, and I think they may be useful to those of you who are also suffering from arthritic pain.
- While the risk of arthritis increases as you age – half of people 65 and older have arthritis – the truth is people of all ages get arthritis including children and young adults. Source: Home – Arthritis Foundation Blog
- Aromatherapy can have a powerful impact on your well-being, including your level of pain. “Certain scents activate smell receptors in the nose, which triggers a reaction in the nervous system,” says Julie Chen, MD, an integrative medicine physician in San Jose, Calif. This, in turn, stimulates the part of your brain that controls emotion, triggering the release of hormones such as feel-good dopamine. Source: Aromatherapy for Pain Relief – Living With Arthritis
Try some of the suggestions below for relieving your arthritis pain:
- Bergamot and Lavender for Pain : This blend reduced pain levels in people with chronic pain who inhaled it regularly over four months, a 2014 study in BioMed Research International found.
- Try it: Blend 2 to 12 drops of essential oil with a tablespoon of milk or vegetable oil (undiluted essential oil can irritate skin), and add it to a bath. Or mix 15 to 20 drops with 1 ounce of jojoba or almond oil to dab on your wrists or massage into skin.
- Ginger for Pain: A 2008 study in Complementary Therapies in Medicine showed that people with moderate to severe knee pain reported less pain and stiffness after they were massaged with a ginger-and-orange oil than an unscented one.
- Try it. Mix 10 to 15 drops of ginger essential oil with 1 ounce of jojoba or almond oil; massage directly on the skin.
You can learn more about essential oils at my Website: http://www.judithguerra.com/ Click the More button ⇓